CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Music

The only elective at this school, is the option to take Art or Music. I signed up for music naturally. I didn't realize though that "Music" translated to "Choir." I have turned down pleas to join choir at school for how many years now, and suddenly I find myself thrown into Japanese choir. lol. It was actually pretty fun. At one point we sang a song in German and I was the only person who could pronounce the lyrics somewhat correctly. Yay! Also, we had a song that supposedly had soprano, alto, and tenor parts, but being an all girls school, it was all soprano. It's pretty funny.

There was a ten minute break in the middle of music class and one of the girls asked me to play the piano for them. I agreed, happy for a chance to do something that didn't involve language barriers. I played them Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu and the moment my fingers picked up speed there was a huge unison of "Ehh???" When I finished playing I received the most ear-deafening roar of cheers that I have ever come across. It was terrifying. I had no idea that Japanese girls' voices were capable of reaching such astonishing volume. Then the sensei who had been listening gave me a Japanese piece to practice for something next month. Couldn't quite understand what.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody can play Chopin like you. You capture his spirit and soul. I miss hearing you play. I wish I could have been there for the applause.

Unknown said...

Alexa,

Does this mean that you have a piano to practice with?

Roars! Great you deserve them!

It sounds like there are a lot of people who are beginning to appreciate how special you are.

Love

Henry