CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 14, 2008

The Ocean

Sunday was yet another incredible day here. My host parents told me that we would be going for a drive, but it wasn't until we were in the car that they actually told me where we were going. Still, knowing the name of the place didn't actually mean anything. After a long drive we arrived at a small bay with a dock, an information booth, and several small motor boats. My host dad bought tickets and then after about a half-hour wait, we boarded one of the small boats. They were just your ordinary motor boats, but even so, the little enclosed area was still covered with tatami mats and cushions to sit on, and a place to remove shoes. I sat next to the only window that was actually open, and after everyone else had taken a seat, we were off!

The scenery was gorgeous - beautiful rock formations and islands jutting out of the water, and caves and trees everywhere. We went through an area with a huge flock of seagulls and opened the windows to feed them. It was amazing; they would fly right up to the boat and eat out of our hands.

When the boat slowed down again my host dad went to the back portion, outside of the enclosed sitting area. I dashed over to join him; the fact that we were on a boat and completely sheltered from the elements was killing me. A couple other people came out to join us in order to snap a few pictures, but then returned to the safety of their tatami mats once the boat started up again. My host dad and I were the only ones left, which I found ridiculous considering I was the one who lives thousands of miles away from any sort of ocean, and there I was the only one not afraid of getting wet.


It was incredible! Until that point, I hadn't realized just how much I really have missed being on the ocean, with the hot prickle of the sun, the cool salty ocean spray, the sound of crying gulls, and the adrenalin rush of riding up and down with the crashing waves. It was amazing. I had the best time. But curse that boat ride for making another hour of my precious time left in Japan pass as if it was mere minutes. lol.

After the ocean, we drove to the small island of Miyatoshima, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge. We parked at the base of a mountain and my host dad told me that the two of us were hiking to the top to see the view. My host mom stayed behind because she was too tired. So we started the ascent, with me wearing high-heeled sandals. It was an incredibly steep hike with a very jagged path and lots of roots to climb around. Every few minutes we would come across another group of sight-seers, standing on the side of the path to catch their breath. I was extremely proud of myself when I reached the top without having stopped once, high-heels and all. It made me wish that I had bought the tshirt I found in Colorado that said "Sea Level is for Sissies".

The view from the top of the mountain was incredible, more so then I ever could have imagined. You could see the ocean in nearly every direction, sparkling in the bright sunlight, the mainland in the distance, and all of the little rock islands scattered everywhere. It was something that a picture could never begin to capture the beauty of. Ever. I only had one small complaint: Of all the silly places to not have a vending machine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Someday you will have to take me that place.

Anonymous said...

i want to go there!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i want pictures of this!!!!!