CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 18, 2008

Last Day at Shirayuri

Back row: Yu, Alexa, Miracle, --, Hiromi; Front row: Mayuko, Keiko, Chihiro

Today was my last day at Shirayuri Gakuen High School. It was so sad. I've made so many amazing friends there, and hugging them all goodbye today (I don't care if the Japanese don't believe in hugs - I insisted on hugging all of them) was one of the most bittersweet experiences ever. I really don't know how I managed to get through the entire school day without crying. It wasn't until I was walking home in the pouring rain that I really broke down.

So last night after dinner my host mother said "Alexa! I have idea!" And then she proceeded to carry a huge plastic bag into the room filled to the brim with washcloths with Minnie Mouse, and Miss Bunny, and the Aristocats on them. Gifts for each and every one of my 39 classmates. So then I was up till midnight wrapping them and handwriting letters to everyone.

The walk to the bus stop this morning was no different then usual, except that it was extremely gray and rainy out. For being in the middle of the rainy season, we have had a staggering amount of sunshine. Funny that the gray skies and thunder should hold out till my last day of school, the beginning of the end.

I got off the bus and my two little primary school friends came running after me as usual, calling "Onesan! Onesan!" in thier adorable sing-song voices. They gave me goodbye letters, and we took pictures, and now I will never again see the two little girls who put such a huge smile on my face every morning.

The morning proceeded with normal classes; lunchtime came and many of my classmates gave me more letters and gifts; I got to go to the teacher's office to say formal goodbyes to everyone; I met, and said goodbye to the principle, who gave me a pendant of the Virgin Mary, or maybe it's just a nun, I can't really tell; I took pictures with all of my friends; was given even more gifts, and letters; attended the closing ceremonies for their meager 20-day summer break; and then went back to the homeroom for the final minutes of school.

Midori, Akane, Alexa


I was called to the front of the class, and presented with this, which is signed by everyone, and made me realize all over again just how much I really will miss them all. I gave them all their gifts, and then we said our final goodbyes.

Me, and Momoka

Having the opportunity to attend a Japanese high school has been the most incredible experience. It is an experience that I will always look back on with the fondest of memories, and will always wonder at the fact that it was actually five weeks, for it flew by as if it were only five days. The things I have learned and the memories that I have come away with are irreplaceable, and my only regret is that it couldn't last longer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your connection with your fellow students is so moving. I do not know how you were able to say goodby without crying.

Dasha said...

I totally understand what you mean. I had to give a goodbye speech today and I cried before I had to go up on stage. I still have 3 weeks left but it being the last day of school, I just... I can't imagine my life without THIS anymore.

Anonymous said...

Do you get to keep the uniform that goes so sweetly with your personality?

Anonymous said...

Keys that jingle in your pocket
Words that jangle your head
Why did summer go so quickly
Was it something that I said


lyrics to Windmills of Your Mind

Anonymous said...

aww sad =[
i miss you!!! come home!!!

Claire said...

Alexa, this is Miracle's sister. She misses you and she wants to get in contact again! She's sad you didn't get each others emails because you didn't see each other on the train. Her email is monkeyjack6@yahoo.com please email her!