CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Consequences of Language Barriers

I'm beginning to think that language barriers deserve a bit more credit; they make life so much more amusing. Because of language barriers, I ended up singing in front of the entire school today. I'll explain.

During lunch breaks and after school the past few days, my class has been rehearsing choir songs, and not once have they let me sit out. They insisted (by way of hand gestures and body language) that I join them. It was so nice of them to include me, but I have no singing experience at all. I had absolutely no idea what we were singing, but apparently did a stellar job of BS-ing it. Okay, not entirely; I actually did manage to learn one of their songs, and the majority of the other one, which made them all very pleased and even more eager to include me in their practices. Then today the entire high school filed into the auditorium for their big choir competition! I probably should have seen that coming. I really didn't expect to be singing Japanese songs in front of the entire school though. The competition was a huge event. It took the entire day, and all of our classes were canceled because of it. We didn't win, but we still had a lot of fun.

So that's my story. The blond gaijin who can't really sing was in a Japanese choir competition today.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have had a hundred thousand dollars in music lessons over the last fifteen years. It seems to be paying off now.

Much Love,

Mom