CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Matsushima - Uni

This had to have its own post. It was definitely an experience that I will never forget. After the glass museum we drove to a large fish market. It was the coolest place, with every kind of fresh seafood delicacy you could ever imagine, including fresh uni (sea urchin).


I've always been terrified of trying uni, but when it's that fresh and still in one piece, it's pretty much impossible to say no. My host dad bought one for me, and the guy at the "uni-stand" immediately set about preparing it. Apparently there is an entire process to it. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3


So, my first time ever trying uni. I have heard many times before that it is an "acquired taste," and so was terrified that it would be really dreadful. I took a bite and was somewhat surprised. It definitely wasn't the most delicious thing in the world, but it sure was fun to eat. lol. It's taste kind of reminded me of the way the ocean smells - really wonderful when when you first smell it after being away for a long time and you hear the waves crashing on the shore again. That probably sounds really weird. lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!!!!!!

MOM

Anonymous said...

The joy in your smile in the pictures says it all. Keep having a great time.

Henry