CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Picture of Sendai Shirayuri Gakuen

It's a picture of my school! High schools in Japan are very different from high schools in America. You don't just get sent to the nearest one (except for exchange students), but rather you select the ones you'd like to go to, and then take really difficult entrance examinations to actually get in - sort of like our colleges I guess. Because of this, very few students actually live in the area. One of my friends actually takes the train from another prefecture everyday. She travels two hours each way, every single day.

2 comments:

capizena said...

Actually, the whole entrance exam/commute system is just how it is for private schools, in any country. I guess more students go to private schools in Japan than here, though.

That's a gorgeous campus, though! I'm really impressed, because from what I've seen of Japanese private schools they're usually rather unattractive compared to the pretty, centuries-old schools here.

I bet a lot of girls decided to go there because of Maria-sama ga Miteru.

Anonymous said...

HI there ^^ This is probably a very unexpected comment, but I was looking through news on Sendai today and came across this post!

I'm not sure if you remember, but while you were studying there, a group of Filipino Exchange Students came in April? I was one of them, and I think my foster sister (Hachiya Shizuka) introduced us in passing! I just thought I'd drop you a message and say hello, and hope that the family you stayed with(?) while you were there is okay. ♥