CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Last Goodbyes

Saying goodbye to Japan and all of my friends and family there was every bit as hard as I thought it would be, if not more so. Thursday morning, after I had put the finishing touches on my packing, my host mother and I walked around to her friends' houses in the neighborhood so that I could say good-bye and thank them again for the various gifts that they have given me.

At 9:30 we left for the train station, just the two of us. My host dad had to work and Midori had school in the morning. Our conversation was on good books that we had read, and it felt as if this was just the beginning of another adventure, not the end of a chapter of my life.

At the train station we went to a kiosk that sold beautiful obento lunches and my host mom bought one for me for the train ride home. We found my platform, along with the other YFU students staying in Sendai. Midori managed to make it to the train station right before I left so that we could say our last goodbyes.


We managed to take a few last pictures before tears started falling. We shared our favorite memories, the baseball game Mimi and I went to, afternoon tea with my host mother every day, the trips to Matsushima.... At the end my host mother said a little speech in her broken English about how she knows I will be able to accomplish great things, how she hopes that I will be able to go to Oxford someday, and how she knows I will one day be able to help with world peace. Her words made be break down in a fresh stream of tears and for a moment all I could do was bury my face in a tissue. I told Mimi and my host mom that when they come to America they must come and stay with my family, and then the train called for final boarding.

The train ride to Tokyo was two hours, and then there was another one-hour train ride to Narita Airport. At the airport I met up with many of the other YFU students. It was an extremely bittersweet reunion, with exciting tales of our adventures in Japan, and our sadness at having to leave after what seemed like such a short time. Everyone was talking about the huge earthquake the previous night. It sounded as though nearly everyone had felt the shaking in some form or another. No one seemed to be any closer to the source of it then Sendai though.

After a 10-hour flight to San Francisco, a three-hour layover, and another three-hour flight to Denver (we circled above the airport for an hour as we waited to land) I was finally home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was surprised to find your blog since I'm also going to the same place and live with the same family this January! I was wondering if there was anyway I could email you for tips? I'd like to be as prepared as I can for this trip. It sounds like you had a blast.

I hope to hear from you soon. :D
- fellow YFU applicant from the Philippines :D

Lexi said...

Hi excited_one! I am so happy to hear that you are going to Japan! Feel free to email me with any question that you may have about Japan, or Sendai, or the Kasaharas, or anything else.

alexa_ophelia@yahoo.co.uk
or
alexa.ophelia@gmail.com

Madzia:) said...

I think you were lucky to go to Japan;) good for you;)

manga fan from Poland;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexa! OMG, I loved to read everything about your adventure in japan. I wish I could do something like that too but in my country (Portugal) there is not much possibilities. Anyway I hope that you can go there again. That would be really fun, specially 'cause I love to read what you write about japan. BTW, sorry for the bad english. And congrats for the trip and the blog, I really enjoyed it ^^

If you want my mail: ana.cats@hotmail.com

Kisses,
Ana

Sho said...

hey. u looked had a lot fun with those of japanese stuff.
i wonder what makes you want to be an exchange student.
i am the one who lives in overseas and always treated as "ESL" student.
it is not feelin good, is it? like u know, u always feel alienation at everywhere.
well. it is not only thing u experienced in overseas.
what im tryin say is,, i am glad that u did fun with all of those stuff.
ANYWAYs, i hope u come back to japan someday and visit all people u relates with ur exchange program.

Anonymous said...

Hi :) It was really interesting to read about your trip to Japan!

Aha, it looked really cool and I learned a lot - like, with the Uniforms being covered with a huge blue gown. They don't put that in Dramas, LOLL.

Anyways, I read you like Dramas - I'm like obsessed with them too :)

Have you watched Hana Yori Dango & Mei-Chan no Shitsuji?? So Good, LOLL. kk, this comment's long enough, LOLL. Great Blog!!

-- Sisii

czekoladaa135@google.com said...

Hi! I read all and loved your story! I know that it's been five years since you came back from Japan and I don't know if you read my comment.. I just wanted to say, that if I pass some exams, in December I will go to Sendai Shirayuri like you :) If you read this, cross your fingers!
I hope that someday you'll go back to Japan and meet your host family again.

Hugs and kisses!
~student from Poland :)